Saturday, November 20, 2010

It is going to be a LONG weekend

I need a Xanax!!

Anyone got a couple that they can spare???

I woke up this morning to the sound of Lucy growling. She was running from room to room growling up a storm. While I was processing Lucy growling, I ended up with a 45lb cattle dog trying to sit on my head. And then I hear it--footsteps on the roof. Santa? Nope, Santa does not whistle and yell to his reindeer in Spanish. Must be the roofers. /sigh

Now I’m not too terribly unhappy that they are redoing my roof as it leaked during heavy rain storms and I did know that they were going to be working on my roof. Just the notice said that they’d be doing it Monday morning. There was no mention of 8am Saturday morning. I have to keep reminding myself that this really is a good thing as I work from home and every weekend day that they do this is a day that I won’t potentially have to take a vacation day due to noise. (I work on the phone all day so I’d figured on taking at least one day of vacation)

So it has now been 2 hours of roofing. I’ve finally had enough coffee to be coherent and Lucy is STILL running around the place growling. Savannah is glued to me. I watched her squeeze her 45lb dog body into a tiny spot between my computer chair, the wall and my foot. And Dexter? LOL. For once, he’s the good cat. Upon the threat of danger, he did what he always does--hide.

I found him and was laughing at his hiding spot. I saw a suspicious lump under my covers and put my hand under the covers to pet him, but this time he flashed back to his kitten days and burrowed under the fitted sheet and mattress pad. (I wish that I’d seen him do it as it must have been a squeeze as at 17lbs he is not a tiny kitteh)

So now, I need either prescription drugs to make it to sundown when the roofing ends or I need to drink more coffee and find a nice quiet place to hide. I’m thinking about crashing at a LYS for a few hours and letting the critters fend for themselves.

Oh fabulous! Now they have a truck that beeps when it backs up. LOL. Sorry pets, I’m taking a shower and heading out to a LYS.


Edited to add that now the roofers have started singing! And one of them is whistling in harmony. That made up my mind. As there are no margaritas served at my place, I cannot enjoy the impromptu Mariachi performance. I'm out of here!

What really made me laugh was the neighbor who went outside and then stood out there screaming at them to STFU. She was really losing it. (guessing she didn't have margaritas either). I had visions of being that person talking to the news crew. "Well, she really was a quiet neighbor--all up to the point that she started using the roofers for sniper target practice. Who knew?"

Edited to add that at 5:36pm it is finally quiet again. I haven't seen either cat yet, but I figure by about 10pm Dexter should get brave enough to come out to use the facilites and eat some canned food. Savannah and I went for a walk around the lake and casually asked one of the guys if they'd be here tomorrow. Bright and early at 8am again tomorrow apparently. The guy did say that they expected to finish up tomorrow so that is a good thing. I won't have to burn any vacation time for this at least. And as I was typing this, Lucy came out and did a quick inspection of the living room. She looks a little perturbed but at least she's stopped growling and made it through the day without stroking out over the people on the roof.

Edited again to say that Dexter came out of hiding a lot sooner than I thought. I was opening a can of food for Lucy the Brave Explorer when all of a sudden Dexter appeared. And when I say he appeared it really did seem like he fell from the sky. He literally vaulted over Lucy to be first in the kitchen. Apparently hiding under the covers from ceiling monsters really works up an appetite. He promptly scarfed down a plate of food and then went to the dog bed and went to sleep. (apparently hiding under bed covers is tiring as well)

Ravelry thread here if anyone wants to read it. :)

No comments: